- 1 St. Augustine, Florida Population 2021 (Demographics, Maps, Graphs)
- 2 St. Augustine Demographics
- 3 St. Augustine, Florida Population 2021
- 4 St. Augustine Population by Race
- 5 St. Augustine Households and Families
- 6 St. Augustine Households by Type
- 7 St. Augustine Educational Attainment by Sex (over 25)
- 8 St. Augustine Educational Attainment by Race
- 9 St. Augustine Earnings by Educational Attainment
- 10 St. Augustine Poverty by Race
- 11 Poverty in St. Augustine
- 12 St. Augustine Poverty Rate by Education
- 13 St. Augustine Poverty Rate by Employment Status and Sex
- 14 St. Augustine Marital Status
- 15 St. Augustine Married by Age and Sex
- 16 St. Augustine Marital Status by Race
- 17 St. Augustine Veterans by War
- 18 St. Augustine Veterans by Education
- 19 St. Augustine Employment by Age
- 20 Origin of Naturalized Citizens
- 21 Place of Birth
- 22 St. Augustine Place of Birth
- 23 St. Augustine Population by Year
- 24 St. Augustine Demographics – Get Current Census Data for St. Augustine, FL
- 25 Customer Quotes:
- 26 St. Augustine,FL Household Income, Population & Demographics
- 26.1 Occupational Employmentin St. Augustinetop
- 26.2 Number of Householdsin St. Augustinetop
- 26.3 Median and Average Incomein St. Augustinetop
- 26.4 Housingin St. Augustinetop
- 26.5 St. Augustine Education Statisticstop
- 26.6 Marital Statusin St. Augustinetop
- 26.7 Means of Transport to Workin St. Augustinetop
- 26.8 Median and Average Household incomein St. Augustine by Zipcodetop
- 27 St. Augustine, Florida Population History
- 27.0.1 What was the peak population of St. Augustine?
- 27.0.2 How quickly is St. Augustine growing?
- 27.0.3 What county is St. Augustine, Florida in?
- 27.0.4 What is the population density of St. Augustine, Florida?
- 27.0.5 What is the size of St. Augustine, Florida in square miles?
- 27.0.6 What is the voting age population of St. Augustine, Florida?
- 27.0.7 What percentage of St. Augustine, Florida residents are senior citizens?
- 28 Population History
- 29 Similarly Sized Cities In US
- 30 Similarly Sized Cities In Florida
- 31 Current St Augustine, Florida Population, Demographics and stats in 2020, 2019.
- 31.1 Demographic median age by sex
- 31.2 Demographic average population of home by age
- 31.3 Demographic population of homes with people under 18 years old by type
- 31.4 Demographic type of home by age of owner-renter
- 31.5 Demographic population of homes with people 60 year olds and over
- 31.6 Demographic population of multigenerational homes
- 31.7 Demographic presence of unmarried partner of home owner-renter
- 31.8 Demographic population in families by age
- 31.9 Demographic tenure of people in homes
- 32 20 Facts About St Augustine, Florida
- 33 20 St Augustine Facts
- 34 1. The City was Founded by Pedro Menéndez de Avilés in 1565
- 35 2. It’s the Oldest Continuously-Inhabited Settlement Established by Europeans in the Continental United States
- 36 3. The City’s Population was 12,975 in 2010
- 37 4. It’s the County Seat of St. Johns County
- 38 5. It has the Narrowest Street in the United States
- 39 6. Henry Flagler Made St Augustine into a Modern Tourist Destination
- 40 7. It has Only Been Directly Hit by a Hurricane Once in Modern Times
- 41 8. It’s Home to the World’s Oldest Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
- 42 Read More from WanderWisdom
- 43 9. The City is Home to the Oldest Masonry Fort in North America
- 44 10. The City’s Fort has had Three Different Names
- 45 11. The Fort has Changed Possession Six Times But Never Been Taken by Force
- 46 12. St Augustine has the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse
- 47 13. The St Augustine Light Tower is Rumored to be Haunted
- 48 14. The City has been nicknamed ‘Ancient City’ and ‘Old City’
- 49 15. It has the Oldest Wax Museum in the USA
- 50 16. The Cathedral Basilica Parish Dates Back to 1565
- 51 17. The City’s Historic Old Jail Served as the St. John’s County Jail until 1953
- 52 18. The St Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park Houses Every Species of Alligator, Crocodile, Caiman, and Gharial
- 53 19. The Northeast Florida Regional Airport was Known as St Augustine Airport Until 2010
- 54 20. It’s Claimed That The Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park Occupies the Vicinity Where Juan Ponce de Leon First Landed in Florida in 1513
- 55 QuestionsAnswers
St. Augustine, Florida Population 2021 (Demographics, Maps, Graphs)
17,217St. St. Augustine is a city in the state of Florida. With a 2020 population of 17,217, it is the 131st most populous city in Florida and the 2108th most populous city in the United States. Augustine is currently growing at a rate of 5.52 percent per year, and its population has increased by 32.69 percent since the last census, which recorded a population of 12,975 in 2010.With a population density of 1,822 people per square mile, St. Augustine has a poverty rate of 20.58 percent and an average household income of $78,115.St.
Currently, the typical rental prices are $1,052 per month, while the median property value is $271,000 during the past few decades.
Augustine is 45 years, with men being 40.9 years old and females being 46.1 years old.
St. Augustine Demographics
17,217St. With a 2020 population of 17,217, it is the 131st-largest city in Florida and the 2108th-largest city in the United States.St. Augustine is a historic city in the state of Florida. Augustine is currently growing at a rate of 5.52 percent per year, and its population has increased by 32.69 percent since the last census, which recorded a population of 12,975 in 2010.With a population density of 1,822 people per square mile, St. Augustine has a poverty rate of 20.58 percent and an average household income of $78,115.St.
According to current data, the typical monthly rental prices are $1,052 and the median home value is $270,000.
- In the United States, white people account for 83.52 percent of the population
- Black or African-American people account for 11.77 percent
- Two or more races account for 2.50 percent
- Other races account for 0.90 percent
- Asian people account for 0.84 percent
- Native American people account for 0.39 percent
- Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islanders account for 0.08 percent
- And other people account for 0.90 percent.
According to our forecasts of the most recent US Census figures, the current population of St. Augustine, Florida is 17,217 people. According to the United States Census Bureau, the population in 2018 will be 17,217 people. The population was 12,975 according to the most recent official United States Census, which was conducted in 2010.
St. Augustine, Florida Population 2021
|Black or African American||1,708||11.77%|
|Two or More Races||363||2.50%|
|Some Other Race||131||0.90%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||57||0.39%|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||11||0.08%|
St. Augustine Population by Race
The homeownership rate in the United States is 64.4 percent.
St. Augustine Households and Families
2.24Average Size of a Household
St. Augustine Households by Type
|Less Than 9th Grade||301||2.96%|
|9th to 12th Grade||404||3.98%|
|High School Graduate||2,568||25.29%|
St. Augustine Educational Attainment by Sex (over 25)
Native American people have the greatest percentage of high school graduation, with a rate of 100.00 percent, and they are also the most educated. Asian people have the greatest percentage of bachelor’s degrees, with a rate of 65.79 percent, followed by white people.
St. Augustine Educational Attainment by Race
|Less Than 9th Grade||$29,259||$32,500||$25,966|
|High School Graduate||$24,733||$26,337||$23,924|
St. Augustine Earnings by Educational Attainment
Residents of St. Augustine are 91.23 percent English speakers, with 8.77 percent speaking other languages, according to census data. The Spanish language, which is spoken by 5.87 percent of the population, is the non-English language spoken by the greatest number of non-English speakers.
St. Augustine Poverty by Race
The overall poverty rate is 20.58 percent. Female Poverty is represented by a rate of 19.30 percent.
Poverty in St. Augustine
Asians are the race most likely to live in poverty in St. Augustine, with 39.42 percent of the population living below the poverty line. White people are the race most likely to be poor in St. Augustine, with 17.59 percent of the population living below the poverty line.
A total of 6.05 percent of persons who worked full-time during the previous 12 months were considered to be in poverty. The poverty rate was 25.98 percent among those who worked part-time, and it was 29.52 percent for those who did not work at all.
|Less Than 9th Grade||27.62%|
|Bachelors or Greater||6.24%|
St. Augustine Poverty Rate by Education
St. Augustine Poverty Rate by Employment Status and Sex
St. Augustine Marital Status
The overall marriage rate is 34.2 percent. Approximately 30.5 percent of female marriages take place.
St. Augustine Married by Age and Sex
Males above the age of 65 are the most likely to be married, whilst females between the ages of 55 and 64 are the most likely to be in a relationship.
St. Augustine Marital Status by Race
|First Gulf War||221|
|Second Gulf War||157|
|World War II||23|
St. Augustine Veterans by War
The Veteran Poverty Rate is 24.89 percent. Veterans with Disabilities Account for 32.37 percent of the total.
St. Augustine Veterans by Education
50.2 percent of the population is enrolled in the labor force.
St. Augustine Employment by Age
Legal permanent residents (green card holders), foreign students, temporary employees, humanitarian migrants, and illegal immigrants are all examples of noncitizens.
Origin of Naturalized Citizens
39.45 percent of the population was born in St. Augustine.
Place of Birth
St. Augustine is home to 39.45 percent of the population.
St. Augustine Place of Birth
39.45 percent of the population were born in St. Augustine.
|Year||Population||Growth||Annual Growth Rate|
St. Augustine Population by Year
Notes on the Value As a result of possible discrepancies in technique between different data sources, estimates are not comparable to those obtained at other geographic levels. As a result, some of the estimates reported here are based on sample data, and as a result, there may be sampling errors that make certain apparent differences across geographies statistically indistinguishable from one another. You may find out more about sampling error by clicking on the Quick Info icon to the left of each row in TABLE view.
Estimates from different vintage years are not comparable to one another.
- As a result, Hispanics can be of any race and are included in all applicable race categories. As a result, Hispanics can be of any race and are included in all applicable race categories. As a result, Hispanics can be of any race and are included in all applicable race categories.
Value Flags are a type of flag that indicates a value.
- It is either impossible to compute an estimate because there are no or too few sample observations available, or it is impossible to compute a ratio of medians because one or both of the median estimates lie inside the lower or upper interval of an open ended distribution. F less than 25 companies
- D Suppressed in order to prevent the release of secret information
- It is not possible to provide data for this geographic area due to a lack of sufficient sample instances
- FN In lieu of data, a footnote has been added to this item. X This is not relevant
- It has been suppressed because it does not fulfill publication criteria. NA Unfortunately, this service is not available. Z A value that is more than zero but less than half the unit of measure displayed is considered positive.
Among the resources used to compile QuickFacts data are: population estimates from the American Community Survey; census of population and housing data from the Census of Population and Housing; current population data from the Current Population Survey; small area health insurance estimates; small area income and poverty estimates; state and county housing unit estimates; county business patterns; nonemployer statistics; economic census; survey of business owners; and building permits.
St. Augustine Demographics – Get Current Census Data for St. Augustine, FL
The US Census Bureau website is inaccessible to 86 percent of visitors who are seeking for specific information. Nielsen Norman Group is the source of this information. CUBIT is our company name. We have more than 25 years of expertise and proprietary data-wrangling technology to research, download, prepare, analyze, and visualizecite the data you require. Contact us now to learn more.
“Your starting report unquestionably saved me a significant quantity of valuable time. I’m simply too busy to gather the information I require in any other manner. In order to obtain this amount of information, it would have required hours of an employee’s or my own time. I was lucky in that I was able to locate a firm that provided all of the demographic information that I required at a very affordable price.” Steven Silva is the author of this piece. “My boss had assigned me the responsibility of obtaining demographic statistics for the county in order to compile the information for our mandatory county education strategic plan, which I completed.
I was pleasantly delighted to receive a report within seconds, and it had a plethora of charts and graphs that my supervisor found appealing.” Jean Hinzman is the author of this piece.
St. Augustine,FL Household Income, Population & Demographics
Males constitute 44.26 percent of the population. Females constitute 55.74 percent of the population.
|Citizen US Born||13,203||1.9%|
|Citizen not US Born||786||11.5%|
Citizen of the United States of America90.96 percent Citizens who were not born in the United States constitute 5.42 percent of the population. Not a Citizen3.62 percent of the population
|Moved from Abroad||219||-6.0%|
|Moved from Same Country||1,122||-6.3%|
|Moved from Same State||1,097||-15.8%|
|Moved from Different State||1,061||0.6%|
|Same House as Last Year||10,803||5.1%|
Relocated from a foreign country 1.53 percent is equal to 1.53 percent. Relocated from the same country 7.85 percent of the population shifted from the same state 7.67 percent of the population Transferred from a different state 7.42 percent of the population 75.53 percent of the population lives in the same house as last year
Occupational Employmentin St. Augustinetop
White Collar 87.69 percent of the population 12.31 percent of the workforce is blue collar.
|Not for Profit Companies||453||14.4%|
Self-employed people account for 15.71 percent of private companies. Government employees account for 65.41 percent of the workforce. 11.7 percent of all businesses are non-profit organizations. 7.17 percent of the population
Number of Householdsin St. Augustinetop
|Average People Per Household||2||-1.8%|
Households with children49.88 percent Households that are not related to each other50.12 percent
|Households with Children||824||-7.9%|
|Households without Children||5,028||4.9%|
Families with children are a subset of the general population. 14.08 percent is equal to 14.08 percent. Families that do not have children 85.92 percent of the population
Median and Average Incomein St. Augustinetop
|Average Household Income||$78,120||10.8%|
|Median Household Income||$54,468||6.0%|
|People below Poverty Level||2,723||0.2%|
|People above Poverty Level||10,395||1.2%|
Housingin St. Augustinetop
|Median Year Built||1967||-0.1%|
|Built in 1939 or Earlier||1,984||1.6%|
|Built between 1940 and 1949||469||6.8%|
|Built between 1950 and 1959||980||5.6%|
|Built between 1960 and 1969||523||10.8%|
|Built between 1970 and 1979||473||1.7%|
|Built between 1980 and 1989||510||-17.9%|
|Built between 1990 and 1999||891||1.7%|
|Built between 2000 and 2009||1,427||3.6%|
|Built in 2010 or Later||335||36.7%|
|Occupied Housing Units||5,852||2.9%|
64.35 percent of the land is owned by the owner. 35.65 percent of the housing stock is occupied by renters.
|Median Value with Mortgage||$287,800||6.9%|
|Median Value without Mortgage||$250,400||-0.1%|
|Median Housing Costs per Month||$1,004||-0.9%|
44.35% of the land is owned by its owner. The percentage of renters that are occupied is 35.65%
St. Augustine Education Statisticstop
|No High School||303||-12.4%|
|Some High School||3,965||10.7%|
There is no high school. 2.34 percent of the population Some High School students (30.57 percent) Some Universities and Colleges Associate Degree8.93 percent24.03 percent Associate Degree8.93 percent 21.61 percent of those with a bachelor’s degree percent of those with a graduate degree
Marital Statusin St. Augustinetop
Never 43.74 percent of the population is married. 34.6 percent of the population is married. Separated 0.39 percent of the total 7.63 percent of the population is widowed. Divorced 14.02 percent of the population
Means of Transport to Workin St. Augustinetop
|Bus or TrolleyBus||30||50.0%|
Median and Average Household incomein St. Augustine by Zipcodetop
The demographic data shown in this section was compiled from the most recent release of the United States Census Bureau, the 2019 American Community Survey. The information is updated once a year, as soon as new data from the United States Census Bureau becomes available. Information changed or aggregated for individual neighborhoods and/or zip codes is provided “as is” with no promise, guarantee, or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the information. It has a population of 14,515 and is located in the county of St Johns in the state of Florida.
Augustine, with a total population of 8,090 female residents.
A total of 4,578 people are married and 8,703 people are single in the present population, which has a median age of 45.
Augustine has an employment ratio of 87.69 percent white collar employees and 12.31 percent blue collar jobs, according to the most recent data available.
St. Augustine, Florida Population History
According to the most recent statistics from the United States Census Bureau for 2020, the current population of St.
Augustine is 15,415. St. Augustine, Florida is the 2,260th most populous city in the United States.
What was the peak population of St. Augustine?
The current population of St. Augustine (15,415) represents the city’s historical high point.
How quickly is St. Augustine growing?
Since the year 2000, the city of St. Augustine has increased by 31.0 percent. Since 2000, the city of St. Augustine, Florida has had steady growth, outpacing 78 percent of similarly sized communities in terms of population growth.
What county is St. Augustine, Florida in?
St. Augustine is wholly contained within the boundaries of St Johns County.
What is the population density of St. Augustine, Florida?
There are 1,376.2 persons per square mile in St. Augustine, which is a high population density.
What is the size of St. Augustine, Florida in square miles?
The city of St. Augustine has a total land area of 9.4 square miles.
What is the voting age population of St. Augustine, Florida?
The entire voting age population in St. Augustine, Florida, which includes all US citizens 18 and older, is 12,469 people. Males outnumber females 43.3 percent to 56.7 percent in the voting age population.
What percentage of St. Augustine, Florida residents are senior citizens?
Residents of St. Augustine over the age of 65 account for 22.7 percent of the population, according to the most recent census data.
|Year||Population||Rank in US|
Similarly Sized Cities In US
|US Rank||Name||Population||Growth 2000-2019|
|2255||Holly Springs, Georgia||15,442||328.8%|
|2258||Middleburg Heights, Ohio||15,432||-0.7%|
|2259||La Palma, California||15,428||-0.2%|
|2260||St. Augustine, Florida||15,415||31.0%|
|2261||Pacific Grove, California||15,413||-0.7%|
|2262||Asbury Park, New Jersey||15,408||-9.2%|
|2264||Westbury, New York||15,351||6.7%|
|2265||Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan||15,332||-10.2%|
|2267||La Grange, Illinois||15,322||-1.7%|
Similarly Sized Cities In Florida
|US Rank||Name||Population||Growth 2000-2019|
|1365||New Smyrna Beach||27,843||35.3%|
|1676||Fort Walton Beach||22,521||12.5%|
|1714||Sunny Isles Beach||21,804||42.4%|
|2121||New Port Richey||16,737||4.4%|
|2531||North Palm Beach||13,127||8.4%|
|2612||Panama City Beach||12,583||62.7%|
|3176||St. Pete Beach||9,587||-3.5%|
|3408||Green Cove Springs||8,577||58.3%|
|3419||Indian Harbour Beach||8,557||4.7%|
|3595||North Bay Village||8,057||19.8%|
Current St Augustine, Florida Population, Demographics and stats in 2020, 2019.
Demographic median age by sex
|Under 5 years:||236|
|5 to 9 years:||205|
|10 to 14 years:||245|
|15 to 17 years:||150|
|18 and 19 years:||129|
|22 to 24 years:||354|
|25 to 29 years:||429|
|30 to 34 years:||295|
|35 to 39 years:||301|
|40 to 44 years:||301|
|45 to 49 years:||350|
|50 to 54 years:||449|
|55 to 59 years:||459|
|60 and 61 years:||182|
|62 to 64 years:||276|
|65 and 66 years:||126|
|67 to 69 years:||179|
|70 to 74 years:||208|
|75 to 79 years:||169|
|80 to 84 years:||136|
|85 years and over:||119|
|Under 5 years:||227|
|5 to 9 years:||210|
|10 to 14 years:||216|
|15 to 17 years:||158|
|18 and 19 years:||164|
|22 to 24 years:||401|
|25 to 29 years:||375|
|30 to 34 years:||283|
|35 to 39 years:||262|
|40 to 44 years:||296|
|45 to 49 years:||422|
|50 to 54 years:||471|
|55 to 59 years:||523|
|60 and 61 years:||182|
|62 to 64 years:||289|
|65 and 66 years:||156|
|67 to 69 years:||193|
|70 to 74 years:||257|
|75 to 79 years:||195|
|80 to 84 years:||217|
|85 years and over:||281|
Demographic average population of home by age
|Family led homes:||2,679|
|Population of male led with no wife present:||230|
|Population female led with no husband present:||626|
|Population of Nonfamily homes:||3,064|
|Population living alone:||2,172|
|Population not living alone:||892|
Demographic population of homes with people under 18 years old by type
|Population of homes with one or more people under 18 years:||994|
|Population of family homes:||974|
|Under 6 years only:||133|
|Under 6 years and 6 to 17 years:||82|
|6 to 17 years only:||283|
|Male householder, no wife present:||134|
|Under 6 years only:||40|
|Under 6 years and 6 to 17 years:||22|
|6 to 17 years only:||72|
|Female led with no husband present:||342|
|Under 6 years only:||91|
|Under 6 years and 6 to 17 years:||58|
|6 to 17 years only:||193|
|Male led households:||12|
|Under 6 years only:||1|
|Under 6 years and 6 to 17 years:|
|6 to 17 years only:||11|
|Female led householder:||8|
|Under 6 years only:||2|
|Under 6 years and 6 to 17 years:||1|
|6 to 17 years only:||5|
|Households with no people under 18 years:||4,749|
|Male led with no wife present:||96|
|Female led with no husband present:||284|
|Male led householder:||1,338|
|Female led householder:||1,706|
Demographic type of home by age of owner-renter
|Total Home Population:||5,743|
|Population of Family homes:||2,679|
|Population of 15 to 24 year olds:||98|
|Population of 25 to 34 year olds:||299|
|Population of 35 to 44 year olds:||381|
|Population of 45 to 54 year olds:||548|
|Population of 55 to 59 year olds:||335|
|Population of 60 to 64 year olds:||298|
|Population of 65 to 74 year olds:||390|
|Population of 75 to 84 year olds:||222|
|Population of 85 year olds and over:||108|
|Population of Nonfamily Homes:||3,064|
|Population of 15 to 24 year olds:||506|
|Population of 25 to 34 year olds:||390|
|Population of 35 to 44 year olds:||263|
|Population of 45 to 54 year olds:||438|
|Population of 55 to 59 year olds:||290|
|Population of 60 to 64 year olds:||286|
|Population of 65 to 74 year olds:||362|
|Population of 75 to 84 year olds:||307|
|Population of 85 year olds and over:||222|
Demographic population of homes with people 60 year olds and over
|Population of homes with one or more people 60 years and over:||2,370|
|Population of homes with no people 60 years and over:||3,373|
Demographic population of multigenerational homes
|Home has three or more generations:||130|
|Home does not have three or more generations:||5,613|
Demographic presence of unmarried partner of home owner-renter
|Unmarried partner of home lead present:||215|
|In family homes:||198|
|Population of male led and male partner homes:||10|
|Population of male led and female partner households:||87|
|Population of female led and female partner households:||3|
|Population of female led and male partner households:||98|
|In nonfamily homes:||17|
|Population of male led and male partner homes:|
|Population of male led and female partner homes:||9|
|Population of female led and female partner homes:||4|
|Population of female led and male partner homes:||4|
|No unmarried partner of home lead present:||1,429|
|In family homes:||1,420|
|Population of husband-wife family homes:||830|
|Population of male lead with no wife present, family homes:||107|
|Population of female lead with no husband present, family homes:||483|
|In nonfamily homes:||9|
Demographic population in families by age
|Population Under 18 years:||1,603|
|Population 18 years and over:||5,538|
Demographic tenure of people in homes
|Population of Owner occupied homes:||3,130|
|Male led home:||511|
|Not living alone:||140|
|Female led home:||789|
|Not living alone:||122|
|Population of Renter occupied homes:||2,613|
|Family run homes:||849|
|Male led with no wife present:||135|
|Female led with no husband present:||312|
|Male led homes:||839|
|Male living alone:||556|
|Male not living alone:||283|
|Female led homes:||925|
|Females living alone:||578|
|Females not living alone:||347|
20 Facts About St Augustine, Florida
Since completing university, Paul has worked as a bookseller; librarian; and freelance writer. He was born in the United Kingdom but currently resides in Florida. Please continue reading for my 20 interesting facts about St. Augustine. SelfSt Augustine, a historic city in northeast Florida, has an interesting and unique role in the history of the United States. It is also a popular tourist and day-trip destination for locals and visitors alike.
20 St Augustine Facts
- Founded in 1565 by Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, it is the oldest continuously occupied city and port in the continental United States
- It is also the oldest continuously occupied city and port in the world. There were 12,975 people living there in 2010
- It is the county seat of St. Johns County
- It boasts the Narrowest Street in the United States
- And it is the county seat of St. Johns County. It was transformed into a modern tourist destination by Henry Flagler. The island has only ever been directly impacted by a hurricane once in modern history. It is the site of the world’s oldest Ripley’s Believe It or Not! attraction. The city is home to the Oldest Masonry Fort in North America, which dates back to the 16th century. The Fort of the City has been known by three different names. There have been six changes of ownership of the fort, although it has never been taken by force. St Augustine is home to the world’s oldest wooden schoolhouse
- The St Augustine Light Tower is said to be haunted
- And the St Augustine Lighthouse is said to be haunted. The city has been given the nicknames ‘Ancient City’ and ‘Old City’
- It is home to the oldest wax museum in the United States
- And it has a rich history. Since 1565, the Cathedral Basilica Parish has served as the seat of the St. John’s County Jail
- The St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park is home to every species of alligator, crocodile, caiman, and gharial
- And the City’s historic Old Jail served as the St. John’s County Jail until 1953. Before 2010, the Northeast Florida Regional Airport was referred to as St Augustine Airport
- It is said that the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park is located in the vicinity of the site where Juan Ponce de Leon first set foot on Florida soil in 1513
I will go into depth with each of the twenty facts below.
1. The City was Founded by Pedro Menéndez de Avilés in 1565
Pedro Menéndez de Avilés was a Spanish explorer and admiral who was born in the Asturias area of Spain and rose to prominence during the 17th century. He was appointed as the first governor of Florida in 1565 and served in that position until his death in 1574, which was caused by typhus.
2. It’s the Oldest Continuously-Inhabited Settlement Established by Europeans in the Continental United States
It was not only the first Spanish community to be successfully built in Florida, but it was also the most significant city in the region for almost three centuries before the American Revolution. Spain picked this place for their town because it was simple to defend and because it was close to a readily available source of fresh water, according to legend.
3. The City’s Population was 12,975 in 2010
St Augustine’s population plummeted when Hurricane Dora struck the city in 1964, but it has been steadily increasing since the beginning of the twenty-first century, and it is believed to have reached 14,280 in 2016. Additionally, you may enjoy the sun and swim on the beach in addition to visiting some fantastic landmarks in the city, eating delicious food, and being amused. There are various great beaches within a short distance of downtown St. Augustine, making it a convenient day trip destination.
Augustine Beach is a popular tourist destination in the United States.
Vilano Beach is a popular tourist destination in the Dominican Republic. North (Usina) Beach is located in the northern part of the island. South Ponte Vedra Beach is a beach located in the southern part of the city of Ponte Vedra Beach.
4. It’s the County Seat of St. Johns County
For more than 200 years in the past, the city served as the capital of the Spanish territory of Florida. During the British occupation, it served as the capital of East Florida. When it was finally given to the United States, it served as the temporary capital of the Florida Territory prior to the establishment of Tallahassee.
5. It has the Narrowest Street in the United States
Treasury Street is the name of the street, and it is just seven feet wide. The roadway connects the Royal Spanish Treasury to the region where the ships dock on the harbor, and it was purposefully designed to be small in order to make it impossible for criminals to remove and flee with gold chests stolen from the treasury.
6. Henry Flagler Made St Augustine into a Modern Tourist Destination
It was during the 1880’s that the old city’s contemporary resurgence started, after a lengthy period of neglect, when railroad magnate Henry Flagler erected a series of extravagant hotels and promoted St Augustine as a winter vacation for the upper classes of northern cities. Throughout his career, he has also built schools, churches, and a hospital in the city. Henry Flagler, an American industrialist, is seen in this portrait. Flagler was responsible for the development of Florida’s Atlantic coast and was a key figure in the establishment of the Florida East Coast Railway.
Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons, which is in the public domain.
7. It has Only Been Directly Hit by a Hurricane Once in Modern Times
St Augustine has only been directly impacted by a hurricane once in recent history, and that was in 1964, when Hurricane Dora made landfall in the city. When Hurricane Matthew moved over St. Augustine in October 2016, it produced severe flooding in the city’s downtown area.
8. It’s Home to the World’s Oldest Ripley’s Believe It or Not!
The city’s odditorium, which debuted the year following Robert Ripley’s death and is located in the Castle Warden, first opened its doors in 1950. The structure, which was formerly a hotel, is said to be haunted by ghosts. It is home to a plethora of bizarre and unusual items, including Abraham Lincoln’s death mask, among others.
Read More from WanderWisdom
The Odditorium in St. Augustine, Florida, is the world’s oldest Ripley’s Believe It or Not! attraction, having opened in 1892. It first opened its doors in 1950, following the death of Robert Ripley the year before. courtesy of Ebyabe on Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0)
9. The City is Home to the Oldest Masonry Fort in North America
9. The Castillo de San Marcos, located in St. Augustine, is the oldest masonry fort in North America and is the oldest structure in the city. The fort is also the only one from the 17th century that has survived on the continental United States’s mainland. It is one of the most intriguing things to do in St. Augustine, Florida, and should be on your bucket list if you ever find yourself in the city.
10. The City’s Fort has had Three Different Names
The Castillo de San Marcos was the name given to the fort by the Spaniards who built it when it was first constructed. When the British took charge, they called the fort Fort St.
Mark, after the patron saint of sailors. When Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821, the fort was renamed once more, this time to Fort Marion, to commemorate the occasion. After a long period of time, Congress decided to restore the fort’s former name in 1942.
11. The Fort has Changed Possession Six Times But Never Been Taken by Force
Despite being assaulted several times and being besieged twice, the Castillo de San Marcos has remained undefeated throughout history. Control of the fort has been peacefully transferred between the Spanish, the British, and the United States. During the American Civil War, it was under the hands of the Confederate States of America. Aerial picture of the fortifications. It is created froma stone called coquina, which is Spanish for “little shells”, essentially old shells that have gathered together to produce a sort of stone akin to limestone.
Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons, which is in the public domain.
The fort had previously been possessed by the Spanish Empire, the British Kingdom, and the Confederate States of America before falling into the hands of the United Nations.
12. St Augustine has the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse
It is said that the historic structure is the oldest wooden school building in the United States. Even though it is not known when the building was constructed, it appears on tax records as early as 1716.
13. The St Augustine Light Tower is Rumored to be Haunted
The St Augustine Light tower was erected in 1874, as the former lighthouse became endangered by shoreline erosion. The lighthouse is currently home to a marine museum that is operated on a non-profit basis. There are various ghost stories associated with the lighthouse that are said to be tied to the place, according to mythology. The St. Augustine Light, which is located at the northern extremity of Anastasia Island, is a working lighthouse that was established in 1874. Many ghost stories are associated with the lighthouse, according to local folklore, and there are countless hauntings associated with the place.
14. The City has been nicknamed ‘Ancient City’ and ‘Old City’
Seloy, a Native American town, was the site of the first Spanish colony in North America. The Timucu are a confederation of tribes that resided in Central Florida and Southwest Georgia at the time of the Spanish conquest and are still in existence today.
15. It has the Oldest Wax Museum in the USA
During a childhood trip to London, George Potter was inspired to start his own wax museum, which became Potter’s Wax Museum. Potter’s Wax Museum first opened its doors in 1948. Over 150 wax sculptures of notable politicians and historical figures, as well as contemporary movie stars, entertainers, and other celebrities are shown at the museum.
16. The Cathedral Basilica Parish Dates Back to 1565
It was between 1793 and 1797 that the Cathedral Basilica Parish of St Augustine was built, although the Cathedral Parish dates back to the creation of the city, when Spanish immigrants conducted a Mass as soon as they arrived on the island. In 1970, the cathedral was listed as a National Historic Landmark of the United States. The Memorial Presbyterian Church, which was inspired by St. Mark’s Basilica in Venice and created by a New York architectural team, is a stunning structure on the interior and exterior.
Self The Father Pedro Camps Statue, which is located within the cathedral courtyard, is a popular attraction.
Camps was a Minorcan priest and missionary who worked for the Roman Catholic Church. In the late 18th century, he was responsible for the re-establishment of the Church of San Pedro on St. George Street. In 1790, he passed away. Self
17. The City’s Historic Old Jail Served as the St. John’s County Jail until 1953
Originally constructed by Henry Flagler in 1891, the facility served as a penitentiary for more than sixty years. Visitors are now able to take a tour of the ancient structure.
18. The St Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park Houses Every Species of Alligator, Crocodile, Caiman, and Gharial
Opening its doors in 1893, the St Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park is one of Florida’s oldest tourist attractions and one of the state’s most popular. The zoo not only boasts alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and gharials of every variety, but it also has unusual birds and monkeys from throughout the world.
19. The Northeast Florida Regional Airport was Known as St Augustine Airport Until 2010
The airport, which first opened its doors in 1933 and was known as St Augustine Airport until very recently, is located in the city of St Augustine, Florida. The St. Augustine – St. Johns County Airport Authority owns and operates the facility.
20. It’s Claimed That The Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park Occupies the Vicinity Where Juan Ponce de Leon First Landed in Florida in 1513
We regret to inform you that there is no substantial evidence to support this claim. On the other hand, there is plenty of archaeological evidence to suggest that the earliest Spanish colony in St. Augustine was located on the location of the modern-day park. Juan Ponce de León was the leader of the first European voyage to Florida, which arrived in 1513. As a result, he is firmly identified with the tale of the Fountain of Youth. In addition, he was appointed as the first Governor of Puerto Rico.
Residents of St Augustine who have made a name for themselves Tom Petty is an American rock musician.
Ray Charles is an American pianist and vocalist.
Cris Carpenter is a professional baseball player in the Major Leagues.
General William W.
Louise Homer is a famous opera singer.
Johnny Mize was a baseball player who went on to become a Hall of Famer.
It is possible to view the Castillo of San Marcos in the backdrop.
Self While the information contained within this article is factual and truthful to the best of the author’s knowledge, it should not be used as a substitute for formal and personalized counsel from a competent expert.
The question is, how was the historic city of St. Augustine, Florida, safeguarded from enemy forces? Answer:Historically, the Castillo de San Marcos served to protect the city of St. Augustine from attacks by invading troops. A masonry fort erected by the Spanish in the 17th Century, the Castillo is a popular tourist attraction (although some further construction would happen later). The fort, which overlooks Matanzas Bay and is the oldest construction in St. Augustine, is the oldest structure in the city.